Wednesday 9 May 2012

Waffle waffle waffle... O gofre gofre gofre :)


A picture says a thousand words.. This picture says one.
Hey! I’m Alex, I’m 20 and my UKLC adventure began a couple of months ago. I’d been looking for summer jobs as a sneaky way to jump onto the tefl ladder - I didn’t think I had a chance of finding a job as a full time teacher without experience and a degree - when I stumbled across the Leonardo Project that UKLC were offering.

A month’s experience in France or Spain, a First Aid qualification and a sports leadership certificate as well as a goody bag of other treats aimed at newly qualified teachers? Yes please!

I was invited to an interview in London where I met Celine, Michael, Catherine and 11 interviewees. After some formalities, we were given some information on UKLC, who they are, what they’re all about, who’s behind it etc. and then conducted our own 3-5 minute warmer/fluency exercise to the rest of the group. 
Some good ideas floating about already, I jotted a couple down and we all had a chuckle when Hywel put his jeans on his head.

We were then given the task of planning a lesson in 40 minutes, drawing inspiration from what some might call a textbook. Any one fresh out of CELTA will know this is no mean feat. We did it though! To round it all off, we presented our lesson plans to the other groups and were given a bit more information about the project.

10th April 2012

The next time I saw the crew, we were in Howell’s school in Denbigh, North Wales and had been joined by everyone from the Manchester and telephone interviews. After refuelling on free cups of tea and coffee in le cafe rouge we joined Michael for fun games for the language classroom and an introduction to TBLT.

By the end of the afternoon we each had an arsenal of games which were easy to set up and could be used as some curious platforms to some really cracking lessons. We managed to get 6 theoretical teaching hours from Michael asking “How old are my shoes?”! En serio!

Howell's School, Denbigh
11th April 2012

Day two kicked off with some language lessons in the morning but soon we were doing chest compressions and giving mouth to mouth as our First Aid course got underway. The guys giving the course were great, they knew their stuff and the hands on approach made the content easy to learn, as well as being a good opportunity for a giggle.

12th April 2012

Day three was a long, old day! 9-10! That’s 13 hours! Although, in fairness, it was 13 hours of golden information. TBL actually meant something to me after today! The morning session was making the most of resources, which in the first example was, well, no more than a whiteboard, some paper, a few pens and the teacher. “You are only limited by your imagination” Michael Hudson. And he was spot on when he said that as by the afternoon we were creating our own lessons to give to the rest of the group – lessons that really had to be extracted, not from text books but live music posters and tourist brochures etc. I felt the lesson my group and I ended up creating was a bit poo really but we’d restricted ourselves too much. Can’t quite break this rigid CELTA thinking! The other groups produced some fantastic lessons and really showed what was capable if you allowed yourself to think a little freer.
Every day starts with this view. Not too shabby!

In the afternoon, a couple of guys from Big Tree Training gave us our first aid training. We’re all certainly going to remember it – maybe for different reasons – but they certainly knew what they were on about. They imparted some great knowledge onto us which, hopefully, we will never have to use. That said, it another thing to add to the CV and that knowledge may one day save a life. Sweet!

The evening was spent with Keith and Nathan for our sport leadership certificate. Nathan is as cool as a cucumber, very calm, very measured. Keith, on the other hand, is a coke and freddo fuelled bundle of energy. Great guys really, and with their help we’re now all set to coach kids who find themselves wanting to impersonate various types of bean.

13th & 14th April

These two days were pretty similar really – that’s not to say that they were boring or anything like that though. I’d say it was the perfect way to wind down the training week. The information Jacque and Carol fed to us over these days seemed to round off everything that we’d learnt from CELTA and the three days previous. Jacque and Carol, by the way, are younger learner teachers who have considerable experience teaching English to this demographic and had flown from Switzerland especially to teach us for these two days. (If you’re reading this, by the way, thank you so much!)

They covered everything really; classroom management, techniques for creating silence and how to build a good rapport with your students, to name a few. We were told what they were teaching us was for younger learners but there were 31 people in that room (all 20+ years old) enjoying these lessons as much as the 5 year olds that are lucky enough to have these two as teachers.

The training week ended just after lunch and it was genuinely quite sad knowing the next time we’d be seeing each other, 16 of the 31 weren’t going to be there. On the bright side though, we had a few days to practice ‘the look’ before we’d be teaching!




Happy teachers!
19th April

Back in Denbigh again! I arrived a bit earlier than the rest of the group as I wanted to have a bit of practice teaching before leaving. Spent the day with Hywel, Richard Gunion and Kiri playing about with lesson plans, swapping ideas etc. Very laid back day! :)

20th April

Kicked off the day teaching a three hour lesson to a group of Italian kids, preparing them for their afternoon in Chester. Good lesson and I’m now a bit more relaxed about the month ahead. As an added bonus, the rest of the group will be joining us tonight. Woop!

Nervous much? Of course not..
21st April

Full schedule today! Started with classroom games and activities (more goodies!) before going to to complete our europass CVs and language passports. Not the most exciting but it’s necessary for future funding bids! Finished the day with a language lesson from native Spaniards and a cheeky trip to one of the finest pubs Denbigh has to offer.

22nd April

SPAIN! Very early start today. Too early, in fact! Left Denbigh at 3am and went to Manchester airport from where we would be flying to Alicante. Made it into Alicante without any hiccups, although there was some nail biting when the bags took a more than a while to come through the airport! We then met Libertad who issued us all with our information packs before heading our separate ways to our flats. Spent the afternoon exploring what we’d call home for the next month and, of course, getting well acquainted with Flashpoint.


Oh, hello Spain..
..and hello Glorieta!
23rd April

This morning we met at top school to receive our timetables for the next month and then were divided into two groups for our first of two language lessons; lower level and higher level. The higher level class was good and the feedback from the other half of the group seemed pretty positive too. Happy days! Some of us were teaching tonight but there were a few hours to plan, although with Michael’s help, that was maybe an hour of planning and a couple more to chill out and discover the beautiful palm parks Elche has to offer.

24th April – 27th April

Rocking up to Salesianos
I’ve joined all these days together as many of these lessons were very similar. I’m teaching 11-18 year olds with Steph in a semi-private school called Salesianos and we’re sharing evening classes teaching adults in Top School. The class sizes in Salesianos are anything between 25+ and 10, whereas the Top School group is rarely more than 5 people. This said, on one occasion I found myself standing in front of 36 13-14 year olds for the last lesson of what had quite easily been one of the hottest days so far. This is not a situation one can prepare for and should you find yourself in such a situation, I wish you the best of luck. All of the classes are about an hour in length.

Ooh, Salesianos again.
This week I spent mainly focusing on introductions – if there’s one thing I took from the training week, it’s that a good teacher student rapport is essential. All of my lessons started with a bit of an introduction about me; my name and two of my favourite things which I asked the students to guess from the pictures. I got them to produce their own name card thing before asking them to tell the rest of the class their name and what they like. A couple of extension questions broke the monotony and gave them each a chance to say a bit more. This also proved quite effective for gauging the students’ actual levels.

Depending on how well they did that, I either did a quick grammar focus or moved onto the next activity. ‘I like play football’ is a very common mistake so 5 minutes spent on discussing how we can say this is pretty useful really. The next activity was either noughts and crosses, where the students formed the questions needed to produce one of the answers that were in each section of the grid or Who am I?, where I asked the students to rummage through my bag and make a few guesses at who I am and what I’m all about. Both of these can be tweaked to push the students but as a general rule of thumb, leave the who am I? game for higher level students.

With some of the younger learners we discussed classroom rules and got them to create their own and also some for me. Seems fair really! With older learners, this really isn’t necessary – they’re aware of all this.

Time permitting, I’d finish with either a game; the alphabet game or the count to 10 game, or I’d finish with the question swap milling activity. You’ve got to remember, it’s VITAL to model EVERYTHING and if you’re doing the who am I? activity you must empty your wallet of money before someone does it for you. Not that I’ve made that mistake!

Did someone say something about Leonardo?
30th April – 5th May

Monday’s lessons followed the same format as those in the previous week. I hadn’t met these students so it was necessary really. Tuesday was May bank holiday so there were no classes in Salesianos although I did 
teach in Top School in the evening.

Lesson planning like you've never seen it before!
This was my 4th Top School lesson and something about these lessons isn’t clicking. Can’t quite put my finger on it, maybe it’s just that it’s lacking the energy that goes hand in hand with teaching teenagers but whatever it is, these lessons don’t seem to go as smoothly as I hope even though the group is very cooperative. Stand by for updates.

The lessons I chose for the rest of the week were either “I’ve just jumped off the Empire State building..” or Prison Break, both of which passed with varying degrees of success. Some lessons were awesome; I came out having covered everything I wanted to and even had a bit of time spare, whereas some felt like I’d been flogging a dead horse for 55 minutes in a class of students who couldn’t have cared less. Very frustrating!

The Empire State building lesson usually felt like it lost its momentum by the end of the hour, but that’s my fault. The prison break lesson, I found, was so successful that when the bell went I was always surprised at how quickly the lesson had gone. If you’re going to do this, by the way, do not ask them to design prisons for themselves – it will have a theatre, a selection of live music acts, a penguin zone(!) etc. Instead, ask them to design a prison for their classmates. It’ll work better!


I've tried to make teaching the main focus of this blog but I couldn't not share this with you. You've seen the crystal clear cyan skies, you've read about the teaching techniques (OK, enough alliteration) and now.. THE FOOD! We're eating like kings here and following Hywel's half marathon, the man in short shorts, Steph, Jess and I went on a marathon of our own - Maratón de tapas!


I think we made it to 5 different restaurants and had about 8 dishes of spectacular tapa. As for the winner, it had to be the sepia and chive burgers with black ali-oli topped with a prawn with a valiant effort from the tempura prawn and vegetables.

Om..
nom..

nom..
nom..
NOM!
7th May – 9th May

Half way through week 3 and things are coming together now. Woop!

Classroom management takes time to learn – please realise this! As Jacque and Carol said, rule with an iron fist in a velvet glove. You need the balance of being friendly and jolly and being assertive. You must nip any bad behaviour in the bud. It’ll come with practice. Chill.

Glorieta by night!
With regards to my Top School lessons, they seem to be working a little better now. All of my lessons are running over the hour as students aren’t shuffling towards the door as soon as they sense the 8pm finish approaching. These are adults, they respond much better to challenging or, in some cases, controversial topics. Also, as there is less of them, they tend to finish their work sooner so prepare for this. I have learnt, however, I need to improve how I keep a conversation alive while not actually participating in it. I’m learning though.

Also, I’m getting a feel for the students in Salesianos. I know which classes are going to be tricky and I know which classes are going to gobble up the work I give them before hungrily asking for more. It’s a shame I have each class only once a week (and in some cases only once a fortnight) as the student teacher relationship takes a lot longer to form when it’s like this but I understand why the school works it this way. Anyway, it’s late and I have lessons to plan. Hasta pronto!


14th May


Week 4 is under way and I'm astounded by how fast everything is going by. The majority of us have just spent the weekend sunbathing and relaxing at Arenales - a pleasant change from Santa Pola, which is more suited to kite surfers and wind surfers than sun bathers.
Windy Santa Pola
Mmm :) Sunny Arenales
Back to teaching, I still have lessons which bomb completely but I also have the lessons which exceed all expectations. I guess I'm still learning - I wouldn't be doing this if I was a perfect teacher! Things are definitely coming together though.

This week I'll be continuing with the Prison Break lessons, asking students to break out of their super secure prisons with some bits 'n' bobs from around the flat (dental floss, a light bulb, a plug, etc.). I did it with some groups today and it went pretty well. I had some fantastic stories from some really creative students. I'll keep you posted how it goes with the rest of my classes this week.

For my lowest class (both age and level) I looked at the weather and got them to create their own forecasts using various future constructions. Some of them were great, many not so great. Next time I teach the weather, I either need to put in some more ground work to really engage them in the topic or vary the exercises they use to practise talking about the weather. 

4 days of teaching left in Elche! :(

15th May

I'm tempted to delete everything I blogged yesterday. What an awesome day! Every lesson ended on a high and I'm sure (or at least I want to believe!) that it's because both the students and I enjoyed the lessons and covered more than we expected and not because each lesson this week is the last lesson I'll have with these guys. 

Elche's Cathedral
More Prison Breaks and even a weather lesson that I felt was needed in order to redeem myself after yesterday... Well, that was nice obviously but the main aim was to get students talking, using future constructions forecasting the weather, not to make myself feel better!

Yesterday, for my Prison Break lesson, I asked one student per group to come up and collect up to 3 items their group would use to escape their prisons. Today, however, I laid out all 15 objects and said they must use a minimum of 5 in order to escape. For one, their stories were longer and more detailed and secondly, it gave them a chance to learn vocab that they otherwise wouldn't have learnt. Happy days!

My weather lesson today, started much as my weather lesson started yesterday; with a clip of Prince Charles presenting the weather forecast. 


However, today, before watching the video, I asked them to have pens and paper at the ready and to scribble down any weather words they heard. This acted as a lovely little springboard to get them to brainstorm all weather types before eliciting forms and getting them to produce their own 7 day weather forecast for a city of their choice. This is where my lesson flopped yesterday as many found it too easy. 

Today, I pushed them and was rewarded with some excellent weather forecasts, utilising the IWB and google maps. Derek Brockway eat your heart out!

3 days of teaching left in Elche! :'(

21st May

I'm back! I'm in the UK and my time in Elche is over - at least for now. The last three days there just got better and better, complemented by two awesome nights out with my fellow Leonardos. The first of these was a group meal, kindly paid for by Christine Top, and the second, a chance (for those of us with it!) to let our hair down

The Leonardos in Top School
Mmm! Even more good food!
Steph and I with Susi, Ana Cari, Begoña (in a very appropriate t-shirt!) and Gloria.
I'm now in Denbigh where I am teaching this week and will be teaching throughout July. There was also talk of work going in the new academic year in Elche so it appears I've already made that jump onto the TEFL ladder, and not all that sneakily.

So, I've gone from CELTA accredited newbie to genuine English language teacher in little more than 6 weeks. I'm still learning but I've already learnt things I'll never forget, I've met some of the most amazing people imaginable and I couldn't be happier.

None of this happened by magic, though. There was a whole host of people working away in order for us to have this truly unforgettable start to our new careers and I'd like to say a MASSIVE thanks to all of them: Celine Aloe, Michael Hudson, Catherine Grieveson, Christine Top, Libertad, Vicky, Gloria, Begoña, Ana Cari and Susi in Salesianos, Jacque, Carol, Richard Gunion, Nathan, Keith, the guys at Big Tree Training and anyone that I might've missed out. You've all made this experience what it was and I think I speak for everyone when I say "Cheers!".

No comments:

Post a Comment