Tuesday 15 May 2012

Elche - The City of Palm Trees

Can´t believe week two is nearly over and this is my first blog! That´s how crazily fun my time here in Elche has been so far!

I am now sat in an after school kid´s club next to top school (where I have made many lovely friends) and I am going to attempt to tell you all about my shannanigans here!

Since the first day, it has been a wonderful experience everyday. In the mornings/afternoons I teach at a Secondary School (Sixto Marco) where the teachers are extremely nice and laid back . Every other evening I teach adults at Top School which I enjoy very much. The students are absolutely great and I love teaching them. So much that I am going out for dinner with them next week! Aaron teaches the evenings I have off, and we often discuss our lessons beforehand to avoid any repitition. My timetable overall has been really good, teaching no more than 5 hours a day between sixto marco and top school. I think I am one of the lucky ones with a fairly easy timetable.. which means I have had plenty of time to make somes friends here.

As I don´t drink or go out partying I have managed to occupy my time in other ways. At the after school club I met two beautiful Morrocan ladies and one Algerian/Spanish. I often visit them most evenings even when I am not teaching at top school. They allow me to join their Spanish and Arabic lessons with the young kids, and also use the Internet whenever I wish. I have been out with them a few times now for ice cream and turkish tea. This weekend we hope to go to the beach!

I have also made friends with some guys from the local turkish restaurant (the only place that sells halal meat that i know of yet!) They have been very welcoming and often give me free tea and sheesha! So definitely can´t complain there!

Tomorrow I am going to lunch at Zainabs house (Zainab is one of the students from the after school club). Although her English is just as bad as my Spanish, we still manage to find ways of communicating. Thats the beauty of the people around here.. so welcoming and kind.

The rest of the group and I often meet up during lessons and in evenings, the weather is great so we go for walks, ice cream, frozen yogurt and have a drink in the evenings.

I am really enjoying my time here in Elche. UKLC have set up this programme so nicely, and thank God I have no issues so far. Life is great here.

I don´t want to come back!

Fozia Ali

No comments:

Post a Comment