Sunday 20 May 2012

Blog standard : losing the fear (by The Aaron)

I can't speak for everyone, nobody can, but if I could speak for everyone, not that I'd want to, I would say, "On behalf of everyone, thank you UKLC for letting us be a part of this adventure."

Some people seem to think that I'm a sort of unemotional robot who travels through life without feeling the things that people feel.  But I do feel.  I'm a sensitive person really.  I suppose my apparent apathy towards last days and final farewells stems from the fact there have been so many in a relatively short period of my life.  And they don't half drag on.  The truth is, though, I don't like them because it's hard to say goodbye when you care and when you realise what you've got before it's gone.

I'm writing this on the last day of teaching, the day before we fly home to England, and I realise what I've got, or had, because now all my lessons are finished.

What I had was a plethora of secondary school students to teach, and teach them I did. I was given the opportunity to implement games and activities I'd learnt from Michael and during the training week in Denbigh. The teenagers, ranging from fourteen to seventeen years old, responded positively to types of lessons they rarely get the chance to experience. They enjoyed moving about the classroom, swapping places if they like to sing in the shower, for example, a game that really puts the active into activity (I realise you lose the 'e'). Most students took advantage of having a native English teacher in their midst by practising their English and listening intently. Was I a popular teacher at Sixto Marco? Well, I did receive a Spanish flag full of messages, amongst other wonderful gifts, and a farewell party......you be the judge.

Not all I saw at Sixto Marco was perfect and brilliant. I feel they rely too heavily on exercises from books and hold too much of a focus on exams, which can get students down. Almost inevitably I wasn't always utilised, and on the odd occasion became redundant in class, a mere puppet. But overall it was such a pleasurable and rewarding experience.

What I also had was an adult class that on the final day told me they have "lost the fear." I was touched and delighted. Worries and fears can take over too many parts of our lives, so if I helped them stop feeling these emotions with regards to practising English then I'm bloody chuffed. I was extremely lucky to be given such a tremendous group to teach. Building rapport was a walk in the park and capturing their interest a piece of cake. They suggested that every lesson was enjoyable and beneficial, but I remember them saying in particular that they appreciated listening tasks, including that involving 'Message in a Bottle.' Throughout there was a good reaction towards pronunciation drills and hearing language spoken naturally with a focus on connected speech. They loved reciting crisp flavours and have a strange affinity with Worcester sauce flavour, not that they have a clue how they taste despite my best efforts of description.

As for my fellow newly trained teachers, I had fun with you, whether you think it or not, and I liked being in your company. You have my respect, and that's one of the greatest compliments I can give. Personally, I had already lost certain fears, but now I can tick another one off, and I'm sure you can too.


No comments:

Post a Comment